Hunting may not be the most politically correct activity, but I argue that it is one of the best. It combines all the greatest of things – nature, hiking, camping, guns, and hope for some amazing meat. Furthermore, it creates the space and opportunity to really encounter God in a meaningful and significant way.
In this episode I give you 6 reasons why you should consider hunting. You don’t need to spend a lot of money, and you don’t need to become a hunting fanatic who covers their vehicle with hunting-related bumper stickers. There is room for modern 1st-world man to gently step into hunting. Any good hunter will be glad to help you ease into the activity. I encourage you to listen and consider if this activity makes sense for you.
You can download the .mp3 here!
Click “Continue Reading” to read the show notes!
Episode 45: 6 reasons why you should consider hunting this year
Saint Hubert – Patron Saint of Bowhunters (and Jagermeister)
- God speaks to us through nature
- Adam was first placed in a garden
- All early figures were farmers by necessity
- Exodus 3:1-2 Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed.
- 1 Samuel 16: 11 Samuel said to Jesse, “Are all your sons here?” And he said, “There remains yet the youngest, but he is keeping the sheep.”
- Angels appear to shepherds to announce Christ’s birth
- Christ grabs a lot of fisherman for apostles
- Even today, many of the great mystics first spend a long time in solitude outdoors.
- We require silence
- “The Lord is in His holy temple, let all the earth keep silence before Him.” (Habakkuk 2:20)
- “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls.”
St Teresa of Calcutta
- The tongue is a small member, but it does big things. A religious who does not keep silence will never attain holiness; that is, she will never become a saint. Let her not delude herself – unless it is the Spirit of God who is speaking through her, for then she must not keep silent. But, in order to hear the voice of God, one has to have silence in one’s soul and to keep silence; not a gloomy silence but an interior silence; that is to say, recollection in God. (118) –St. Faustina
- It’s the very best meat
- In an age of all-natural organic grassfed meat concerns, this is the most natural you can get
- You’ll make new friends
- It’s not as expensive as you think
- Don’t need new and shiny gear
- It’s not the gear that will hold you back
- It can be an opportunity for growth in your marriage
- Absence makes heart grow stronger
- Appreciate all the other person does – both directions
- Opportunity for you to treat your wife to something special as well.