Hopefully in the last episode I motivated you to think about and realize the importance you have in your childrens’ lives. In this episode, I want to give you 4 practical tips to better your participation and engagement to their development.
Fatherhood is difficult (well, so is all of parenthood.) We cannot be good fathers (or mothers) without first having a good relationship with Jesus, and through Jesus, to the Father who is ultimately the one we must point back to. Hopefully with this episode, you will find a few practical ways to up your game, and become the father you were meant to be.
You can download the episode here!
Click “Continue Reading” to read the show notes!
4 simple steps to become a better father yourself
“You know well enough that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love with which we do them.”
— St. Therese of Lisieux
- Be healthy in your faith yourself
- We cannot pass on what we do not have
- Read the Bible
- Spend time in prayer
- Attend mass
- Go to confession
- Go to adoration
- Let your children know and see you do these things!
- “The best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.”
- Children are happy when they feel safe.
- In our society today, children will eventually encounter the reality of divorce.
- Fight with your wife, if you must at all, in private
- Assure the children of your commitment to your wife.
- Let them see the time and effort you spend thinking about her.
- Girls: show them what to look for, boys: show them what to do.
- If your parents are divorced, break the cycle.
- For children, love is spelled t-i-m-e.
- Beware distracted time
- Difference between teaching by demonstration and ignoring while working on a project
- Because father time is rare, its value is at a premium.
- Recognize the impact that time can have. It echoes into eternity.
- Be meek.
- True strength is gentle, and true gentleness is strong
- matthew 11:29
- Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- KJV: Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
- This is the only description Christ gives to Himself in the whole Bible. This man overturned money changers tables and called people “Brood of Serpents” what does he mean?
- Meek is breaking a horse
- What it means to be meek: Strength, in a direction, with guidance.
- It means being in control, measured response
- Discipline – how I fail
- Expectations and praise