There are two types of people in the world when it comes to communication styles. Those who need to Talk in order to Think, and those who need to Think in order to Talk. Whichever you are, you will have some challenges in communicating. Most of the time, we tend to marry our opposites.
In this episode, I give each type of person 5 tips that will help you communicate more effectively. Most importantly of all is to realize what type of person you are, and what type of person you are addressing. As with all character aspects, there is no “right” or “wrong,” there is only room to move towards compromise.
You can download the episode here!
Click “Continue Reading” to read the show notes!
Episode 26: Think-to-Talk or Talk-to-Think: 5 Steps to help
Intro, which way are you. Most of all, just be aware.
- Announce when you need to really talk a bunch
- Look at the other person at least once a sentence
- Respect signals and body language
- Leave dead time
- Don’t talk after you ask a question – ping pong
- Understand the other’s position – don’t hold the early draft against them.
- Ask for silence when needed
- Be willing to risk – say something
- Be assertive yet patient with signals
- Help the other person to be grounded, guide the conversation.